01 May 2008

. . . A Marathon Ain't So Bad

As I've noted in prior posts, my brother and I are training for a triathlon this summer. As a gesture of full support and solidarity, my dad e-mailed this story to us yesterday. All the sudden, a marathon is looking pretty tempting.

Great White Killed Triathlete

An L.A.-based shark expert, examining two tooth fragments extracted from the body of a 66-year old triathlete, confirmed a 15-to-16-foot great white killed the man off the coast of San Diego last week, according to the Associated Press. While training in Solana Beach, David Martin was lifted out of the water by the shark, pulled underwater, resurfaced to scream “shark,” and went under again.

The shark quickly fled. Several other swimmers pulled the victim to shore, but it was too late. The retired veterinarian quickly died of blood loss from the massive injury that crossed both legs. Scientists theorize that the shark mistook Martin’s black wetsuit for a tasty sea lion. A member of the Triathlon Club of San Diego and 40-year resident of the area, Martin was a dedicated athlete, frequently using the beach for training.


Click here to read the rest of the story.

2 comments:

Hol said...

Scary. I know of a guy who has a balcony overlooking Solana Beach, about 200-300 yards away from the attack. He posted about it the day it happened.

It's easy to "forget" about things when they are so common to you. I don't think about rattlesnakes, Black Widows, Brown Recluses, or scorpions until we're hiking or camping. I always check my boots and sleeping bag though.


Good luck with your training! I hope that you and Jason aren't dissuaded from continuing.

Ash, Kel n Ella said...

Man...you guys better be careful. I heard the sharks in the Detroit River are vicious.
Ash