09 May 2008

Mere Discipleship Part Deux

A few years ago, Lee Camp wrote a provocative (and slightly controversial!) book, Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World.

In short, this book is an introduction to a "a different way" of doing/practicing Christianity: the committed practice of non-violence and reckless love. Brazos Press has done a second printing which will be out in a few weeks. This book has had a major impact in evangelical circles, as well as broader Christian groups.

Not long ago, for example, I got an email from a pastor in Southern California from an Episcopal church who was trying to teach Mere Discipleship to his church in a class on mission.

I am honored to have written The Study Guide for Mere Discipleship with Lee last year. Not only was Lee one of the most influential professors during my tenure at Lipscomb (Hazelip School of Theology), I also consider him a good friend, a source of wisdom and wise counsel.

Someone recently asked me, knowing how polemical the book has been, "Do you agree with what Lee is proposing in this book?"

Here's my (not so) simple answer.

I don't agree with everything in the book. Most of it, yes, I think he's right (why I think he's right and what I don't agree with are for another day and perhaps another venue). However, I know this for sure. His challenge to American Christianity is one of the most important voices in contemporary dialog. He's a prophet of sorts, and I have a clearer picture of The Jesus Way because of his writing, teaching and, most importantly, the way in which he lives his life.

Shane Claiborne has this to say about Mere Discipleship.

"What a book. This is one of those books that you wear out carrying around, marking up, and loaning out. Camp's words are timeless, and timely. And the crazy thing is this: the church is actually ready to hear them. In post-Religious Right America, there is an entire generation that is not willing to settle for the dream of America over the dream of God. There is a hunger for a Christianity that is not just something we believe but something we live and embody, a church filled not just with believers and worshippers but with disciples. Lee Camp points us towards a Christianity that is worth believing in."--Shane Claiborne, author of The Irresistible Revolution, coauthor of Jesus for President


Read the book. It will mess you up.

6 comments:

Josh Ross said...

The book is "messing" me up right now!!!

Anonymous said...

Amen! The book will mess you up. Lee has a message that needs to be heard.

Courtney Strahan said...

i need to read this still. i'll have to come by and pick it up from you if you don't mind...

Anonymous said...

Lee Camp was an Associate Minister at a church in South Bend, Indiana that I began attending at the request of my older sister.

Lee preached a lot about being disciples of Jesus - on occasions he would use words. That is to say that as ayoung adult observer who had grown very despondent towards Christianity, I saw someone who seemed to be honestly trying to live as Jesus did. What I witnessed became a big influence on me deciding to become a follower of Jesus (that influence still shapes me today).

I read "Mere Discipleship" when it first came out. Is it really that controversial? Perhaps that will depend on your present understanding Jesus' words "follow me." I happen to agree with the major thrust of the book. The last section of the book deals with practical non-violent responses Christian should undertake in response to a violent and injust world filled with evil (e.g., prayer, serving, etc...). Looking back, I see how Lee was striving to practice these responses long before he even wrote this book. The funny thing is that when discussing some of these non-violent responses, I have met more than a few Christians who respond to such suggestions as though they are powerless without the state sword.

If nothing else, we readers need to remember that we do not serve a weak God nor are we God. Therefore, can we trust God to act even when we cannot see how God is acting or in what time frame God chooses to act? If we cannot answer yes to this question, it seems we will never be able to drop the sword in any circumstance.

Rex

Josh Graves said...

Josh,

Have you tried to teach "MD" at the local church level?

Gilbert,

That class was a highlight.

Courtney,

You will enjoy it. The library has a copy.

Rex,

The book has been highly controversial in circles that are offended that Lee believes some Christians are more loyal to the Empire than to Jesus of Nazareth.

Thanks for your personal reflection. It was neat to hear from someone who's been on the journey at a different point.

I struggle with a universal declaration that violence, in all circumstances is to be avoided.

More on that later.

Anonymous said...

Josh,

I have no doubt that Christians using violence to protect the power of any nation of tribe is wrong. My one struggle is what to do when it is clear that some form of action that may involve violence (acting in the manner of a policing action) would protect persons from harm and injustice? I think we struggle with that because we are humans created in the image of God and therefore hate injustice. Having said that, conventional wisdom teaches us that we are cowards and immoral if we see someone suffering and do not immediately intervine (even if that inntervention means violence). Christians (myself included) have bought into this so many times forgetting that Jesus himself stood over Jerusalem weeping at their future fate but refused to raise a militia to protect them from harm (Lk 19.41-44). Instead of the militia, Jesus had other plans in mind which, as we know, was his own death and resurrection, which, in his humanity, took superve faith in God.

I struggle to have that faith. I like to think I have it but sometimes I wonder. It also seems easy to say I have it from the confines of my comfortable office. So I struggle. Yet, I will never be full of praise when I hear Christians speak as though fighting for the protection of the nation/state is our duty. We belong to a kingdom established by a self-sacrificial cross, not a sword.

Great discussion,

Rex