16 May 2008

The Great Fire



In 1871, the city of Chicago suffered a devastating fire. By the end of the destruction, almost two-thirds of the city proper had been destroyed. Likely a case of an urban myth run wild, early reports pointed to a poor Irish woman as the one responsible. A poor, immigrant Catholic (the perfect criminal in the political milieu of late nineteenth century Chicago), Catherine O’Leary was the first reported perpetrator. The Chicago Tribune reporter who “leaked” this information would later retract.

Several theories now remain regarding the person responsible for the great fire. Yet, the most interesting element to me regarding the story is the reason the city burned down in the first place. Before Chicago became the “windy” city, it was known as the wooden city for its streets, buildings, factories, and homes were primarily made of a substance that could be destroyed in an instant. Chicago was made of wood and it would soon learn the fallacy of constructing an entire community/existence upon a fragile source.

I find this to be a great metaphor for our cultural situation regarding Christianity and the Church. Made of wood (science= God), our western religious cities are slowly burning. Architects from all over the world are now coming to this city to a) diagnose the cause of the fire (i.e. the failures of modernity) and b) create new possibilities and paradigms within our given context.

This is not to say that the “wooden city” was evil, bankrupt, or false. Rather, it is to recognize the limitations as well as the possibilities now for the future.

You can’t have a resurrection without a crucifixion. Some see the decline of Western Christianity as tragedy. I see it as an opportunity to raise up a new kind of church.

4 comments:

preacherman said...

Josh,
Thank you for shing this great post with us all brother.
Your blog is a true blessing to me.
I hope you have a blessed weekend.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry

Anonymous said...

"Some see the decline of Western Christianity as tragedy. I see it as an opportunity to raise up a new kind of church."

That is a great and quotable statement.

Rex

phil said...

Your analogy has forced me to think and confess how easy it can become for me to look at the reasons why our chrurces are declining and shout "crucify him." When perhaps a better cry would be "resurrect us!"

Josh Graves said...

Kinney, Any update on your friend we've been praying for?

Rex, I'm seeing this come true right in my neighborhood and the surrounding churches.

Phil,

Great line. I like that. I think I'll steal it.