18 September 2007

West Texas

I'm in Texas for a few days, presenting at the ACU Lectureships. I'm teaching a class on the relationship between film and faith. So far it's been an interesting discussion. I normally talk about theology, ethics, working with the poor--this has been a great change of pace.

Yesterday, I was on a panel discussing Missional Church Worship. Missional Church is different than the Emerging Movement (Rob Bell, Brian McLaren, etc.) but it is also similar. I'll write more on that later. It is interesting that so many people think they are one in the same...anyways, I digress.

The highlight of the panel was the last 45 minutes. With everyone attending the session, we constructed a liturgy (order of worship) for a group seeking to be inherently missional in language, flow, and experience. Our text was Matthew 24:14ff. The contributions and ideas were outstanding--it was as unique a class as I've ever been a part of.

The best part about being back in Abilene (where I did part of my grad work) is the Mexican food. I got to eat at Los Arcos, favorite eating location of friend and guide, Randy Harris. The time I spent with Randy was invaluable and precious.

Off to teach...

P.S. I'm not giving up on the Tigers. They still have an outside shot.

5 comments:

Ash, Kel n Ella said...

Josh, I've given up on the Tigers. As I text message I received last night said, that might be the game that broke the '07 Tigers back.

Enjoy Abilene! If you get a second stop by Joe Allen's and bring me back some brisket! I'm sure it'd travel well!
Ash

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh. Have a great time in Texas. I spent some time in Arlington for work andn loved it!

Dear Ash&Kel - Nooooooooo! Don't give up on the Tigers! They can do it! We need to have faith!

Josh Graves said...

Ash, Renee and other sports fans....

Tigers still have a chance. I'm convinced of that.

I heard a great line on t.v. last night..."The 49-ers are 2-0. The Packers are 2-0. O.J. Simpson is in prison. It's like we're back in the mid-90's all over again."

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I'm jealous of your time in Abilene since that is where my sister and her family live, but I will be there in a month. Hope the lectureships are great and enjoy the great weather

Kierstyn

Josh Graves said...

Ash,

I concede the point. It's over. They'll be back.

And so will I!