08 May 2007

Pepperdine, College Church, Pistons

I just returned from being in California at the Pepperdine Lectures (I'm still trying to get back on this thing called Eastern Standard Time). One of the highlights for the trip, besides being with my wife for a rare occasion on a trip such as this, was spending time with the College Church of Christ in Fresno, CA.

College Church might be one of the most diverse Churches of Christ in the country with members and leaders in its family ranging from white, black, Hispanic, Jamaican, Hawaiian and Asian (Chinese, Japanese, and Hmong). And…they are the only Church of Christ I know that has a female worship leader, Sandra Henderson.

I first met this church while teaching for a ZOE Conference. It has been a blessing to see the many ways in which God is at work in churches all over.


In other news, I owe the Pistons a public apology. I told a good friend and sports confidant recently that I am certain the Pistons are near the end of their glorious NBA Playoff run (Nearly five consecutive Eastern Conference Finals, two NBA Finals appearances, one championship).

Well, it turns out I might be wrong. Thanks to Ben Wallace and the (very) Baby Bulls, the Pistons seemed to have found the edge and focus they boasted in 2004 when they defeated Kobe and Shaq and in 2005 when they nearly upset the Spurs after going down 2-0.

Hats off to Chauncey, Rip, Rasheed, Tay, C-Webb et al—they are handling these playoffs like true pros. I hope they have one more championship run in them. And…I hope Joe Dumars can figure out a way to bring Chauncey back after the summer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had known you and Kara were there... I would like to meet you!

Anonymous said...

dude, if the pistons make the finals they will get routed off the court by the spurs...just as surely as i used to block every one of your shots and send the ball ricocheting off the walls of the crackerbox gym on lake norcentra.

StevenD said...

man, i need to get out to pepperdine one of these days. i've never had the pleasure.

oh, and they're all playin for second place, my friend!!!! let's go spurs!

Anonymous said...

that girl, hope you had a good time at Pepperdine. I'm already missing the ocean.

mp--nice cheap shot on the web. I'm guessing you and I played together at RC? "MP"...I know JP, MRob, GP (Glen Pak),but MP...hmmm...

Steve: The Spurs scare me. I'd much rather play the Suns or the Mavs...oh wait, the Mavs are at home; Dirk's listening to David Hasselhoff on his cd player and the little general is learning motivational half-time speeches from Lovie Smith, and Marv Leavy.

Thurman8er said...

We were so blessed to have you guys here. I can't even tell you how many great comments I heard on Sunday and Monday.

There's a home for both of you in Fresno any time you want one.

Anonymous said...

Thurman8er:

It was great to spend more time with the you guys and the Watson's this time, as opposed to coming in quick for ZOE and then heading out.

You are gracious hosts. God's grace upon you as you all continue to dream, add new staff, etc.