20 May 2007

Rochester College, Rasheed, Birthdays, and the Tigers

The next three days marks a highlight event of the year for me: the 10th Annual Rochester College Sermon Seminar. One of my key mentors in undergrad studies (David Fleer) is the director. This seminar has had such teachers as Fred Craddock, Tom Long, Barbara Brown Taylor, Will Willimon, Stanley Hauerwas, Charles Campbell, and Walter Brueggemann. Evangelicals, Main-line, and Roman Catholics have come together to study Scripture, wrestle with contemporary situations, creating unexpected community.

This is the final Sermon Seminar as David Fleer is going to be teaching and working at my alma mater (and Kara's favorite school), Lipscomb University. I feel at a loss to see a mentor and friend move, but I know he'll bless the school richly.

This year, I’m leading a panel discussion on “The Many Faces of Faith”—Sean Stockman helped me write, produce, and film this video. Sean is extremely talented and I learn something new each time I work with him.

This morning, Tom Boomershine taught a special adult class at the Rochester Church on the power of Scripture being heard thus experienced in community rather than read as a scientific document to be examined. It was a powerful morning indeed. It was interesting sitting next to Tom and Amelia (his wife) during our Mosaic worship gathering. You do not realize how low church/charismatic you are until you are in a tight space with an ordained Methodist minister and an ordained Methodist elder/scholar. I will post the link to his class in the coming days.

----------------------------

Tonight, several of our friends threw a surprise bday party for the most beautiful woman on the planet. It was a great time of food, conversation, jokes, and music. What would a gathering of friends be without music?

-----------------------------



The Pistons are one the path for a re-match against the Spurs. It would be sweet vindication to beat the Cavs (to the dismay of NBA officials who are enamored with King James) and then take down the Spurs. I’m not convinced it will happen, but the prospects are fun to consider. If Rasheed plays like he did in Game 6, the Pistons could have their second championship in four years.

Meanwhile, the Tigers continue to win despite having a depleted pitching staff.

As for the Red Wings, I’ve never gotten “hockey”—sorry, it’s too hard to follow the puck. If they make it to the Stanley Cup, I’ll be a frontrunner, cheering.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, I love that video. One of the most powerful momements in the video is when Bono says, "This is not about charity. It is about justice. Justice is a much higher calling."

That is powerful and true. I believe that is what Jesus means when he says, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness."

Thurman8er said...

Y'know...the Angels and Tigers are due to link up again soon.

I hope the panel goes well. I hope when my teaching days are over that I'll be able to attend some things like this.

Anonymous said...

Gilbert,

Thanks for the note. It went well today, I was convinced the powers and principalities would thwart my efforts...it went smooth.

Steve,

You should check out stuff happening in the summer like the Emergent Conference, etc.