31 May 2007

Florida

I have one measure for a good vacation: a stack of good books. Kara has one requirement for a good vacation: a beach on the ocean. So, you can picture me on vacation reading a bunch of books at the beach. Occasionally the old man (me) will venture into the ocean. Occasionally the young girl (Kara) will sit down to read a magazine…neither will give in too much to the other.

I also like scuba diving, good Mexican food, lots of access to Dr. Pepper, and a TV to watch the Pistons struggle through the NBA Playoffs. But, alas, if I have to choose one—give me some books.

On this trip, I’ll be reading The Kite Runner (Hosseini), Leaving Church (Barbara Brown Taylor), The Next Christendom (Jenkins), and No Future Without Forgiveness (Tutu). It’s a good lineup from top to bottom: a novel that’s received critical acclaim by several trusted friends (Kite Runner); a memoir of the paradox that is faith by a preacher/writer bar none and future professor of mine (Leaving Church); a scope of the globalization of Christianity, or…why Christianity isn’t about America and Europe anymore; And…Desmond Tutu’s account of one of the most fascinating achievements of the twentieth century: The Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa.

The truth is actually a bit deeper, I have two requirements for a good vacation: good books and Kara (not in that order).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kite Runner = amazing. Soooo good.
You might like Life of Pi, too.

Wade said...

I made a decision a couple of years ago that on my vacations I wouldn't read anything with footnotes.

Your book list sounds like work to me!

We're gearing up for a vacation and the only books I'll read will have guns, spies, and the world hanging in the balance.

Anonymous said...

Emily,

I've heard Life of Pi is excellent. What's the plot/story line?

Thanks for doing the bible study/small group this summer.

Anonymous said...

Wade,

That's a good rule. I'll have to consider that for the next time. One thing is for sure, my wife would agree with you.

The description you provide of your books sounds like a 24 episode to me. Can't get it out of your blood?