27 March 2009

Weekend Plans: Writing, Friends, Hoops, Outliers

I spent this afternoon putting the finishing touches on the teaching for Sunday. After I did that, I worked on some final editing for Jesus Feast. Editing is not my gift. I can do it, but it isn't my favorite thing in the world. For me, it's a lot like weeding. It's cool for ten or fifteen minutes, but I start to get restless after an hour or so.
---


This is going to be a great weekend. We have the Storment's in town this weekend. Jonathan, Leslie and Eden are here in Rochester Hills to encourage our leaders for Rochester Church. Jonathan is on staff with Richland Hills Church in Ft. Worth--a super talented preacher and teacher, I know he will bless us with his mind and heart. We appreciate the Richland Hills Church for letting us share the weekend with the Storment's.

Tomorrow, I'm planning on taking him to the Wright Museum in Detroit. After church on Sunday (we're co-preaching together, he's teaching a combined adult class), the five of us will get to catch a Pistons game.


KG loves going to Pistons games. Not quite as much as Tigers games . . . but she still loves catching some Deeettttroooit Basketball.
---


The NCAA Tourney has been fantastic. I don't claim to know much about college football but I just can't be convinced that a college football tourney would NOT work. Seriously. What can it hurt to try?


I've got my KU gear out for tonight's match-up against MSU. Most people assume I'm a MSU fan. Oh contrare mon frere . . . I'm a KU fan through and through. I converted one of my best friends in high school to KU Nation. He went on to be All-America in college. Coincidence? I think not. I still catch him at the health club wearing KU gear. All my Wichita friends are gearing up for a good game tonight (wearing their KU colors). Rock Chalk!


---


I just finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. The book is sensational. The premise is that we have cultural assumptions regarding success: genius, innate ability, etc. Gladwell makes a convincing argument that remarkably successful people usually have the perfect storm of events which produce people of great achievement. Gladwell makes some brilliant insights regarding socio-economic factors at work in our educational and professional institutions. I would think every teacher, minister, lawyer, doctor--just about anyone interested in seeing people become more--could benefit from the unique slant provided by Gladwell. For those not familiar with Gladwell, he's the author of The Tipping Point and Blink. From Bill Gates, to Canadian hockey stars born in February . . . this is a book that will seriously mess with your mind.

3 comments:

Tim Perkins said...

Sorry about KU, Josh. But what a great game!

Blake Griffin is a beast.

boutzers said...

i'm super stoked that you're taking him to the wright museum. so many people don't realize the great cultural events and places that detroit has to offer and i'm glad you do!

Jonathan Storment said...

Hey Brother, it was great getting to spend time with you both this weekend. Thanks for being our D-town tour guide, it was a blast. I am glad that we are partners in the gospel.