19 March 2009

Drinking Deeply

Drinking deeply from good books is one of the vital spiritual disciplines I've implemented in my life over the last ten years. I have been a reader of autobiographies since high school. Once I entered college, my world exploded by reading novels, history, theology, philosophy, science, postmodernism, memoir, etc. Staying up late or getting up early is a small sacrifice for immersing yourself in a great book.

I recently read three excellent books that might catch your interest.

A Mercy by Toni Morrison is outstanding. Pilgrim Heart by Darryl Tippens was solid. Origins of an Urban Crisis will challenge everything you think you know about urban decline and white flight (with Detroit as the backdrop).

The on-deck list is formidable. Outliers is already rocking my world. Tell it Slant promises to be another great Peterson book. Little Chapel on the River is supposed to be a book about church that isn't about church. Tepper Isn't Going Out sounds bizarre but I love the premise. Craig Kocher told me "you have to read" Blood Done Signed My Name. The Black Swan looks to be similar to Outliers--a book that will challenge my thinking about the way I think. Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus quenches my thirst to continue to understand Jesus' Jewish context of the first century world.

---

If you've read anything recently that you want to share, feel free to post.



























































6 comments:

Unknown said...

Josh
Move Black Swan WAAAAY down your list.
Move anything Augusten Burroughs (Running with Scissors, Dry, Wolf at the table) way up the list!

Klint Pleasant said...

"Little Chapel on the River" is outstanding. I have passed several copies out. Johnny and I tried to get to the "store/bar/church" before it shut down but didn't make it. "Tepper Isn't Coming Out" is very good too...

KP

Josh Graves said...

Kyle: Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot I had all of those books by A.B. on my list. I'm going to see what RHPL has in their collection.

KP:Johnny told me that "Little Chapel" is fantastic. I can't wait to read it.

I thought of you yesterday as Western Kentucky almost won! :)

Keith Brenton said...

I just finished Ed Fudge's soon-to-be-released Hebrews: Ancient Encouragement for Believers Today last night and immediately reviewed it for New Wineskins. It's outstanding. Ships May 19. Leave some time open for it this spring!

Josh Graves said...

Thanks for this suggestion Keith. I'm grateful for Fudge's scholarship over the years. It's on the list! Hope you are well.

Anonymous said...

hey josh-

i know this is a little delayed but that book that you asked me about the other day- The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog- is unbelievable!! it is a great book and i am almost finished with it! Bruce Perry goes through every part of working with people dealing with trauma. it definitely helps if you work with anyone dealing with PTSD- which i am sure you run across. Anyway- when i am done with it i'll put my name in it and you can read it! talk to you later.

jenny hoggatt