06 November 2008

A Scholar's Parrot

From C.S. Lewis . . .

All this is flashy rhetoric about loving you.
I never had a selfless thought since I was born.
I am mercenary and self-seeking through and through;
I want God, you, all friends merely to serve my turn.

Peace, reassurance, pleasure, are the goals I seek,
I cannot crawl one inch outside my proper skin;
I talk of love--a scholar's parrot may talk Greek--
But , self-imprisoned, always end where I begin.

---

In times of great debate (family, church, politics, etc.) I'm always drawn back to the heart of The Jesus Story: sin, evil, and corruption do not exist "out there" . . . sin, evil, and corruption run right through the middle of me. I think that's what Lewis's poem is doing.

2 comments:

Justin P. Lewis said...

Thank you for that reminder that sin is not only "out there", but a daily struggle for us all.

Found your blog through Josh Ross, I am at SVCC.

Jim Bob Cooter said...

Josh,
I really appreciate this post. I feel that during the whole political show of the past year I have considered myself above it all, and thus the problem was out there. I feel like I need to amend my response to your question on your last post. The political mood here in middle TN is as one would expect. The values that dominate the thinking of the masses dictates whether they are happy or distressed about the outcome of this election. Thanks for the post!