28 February 2009

Kansas

When people ask me where I grew up, I usually respond by saying "Michigan/Detroit" but follow-up quickly by adding, "but I spent a good part of my childhood in Wichita, Kansas (hence my love/addiction/loyalty to Kansas hoops).

My (twin) brother and I were almost three when we moved from Detroit to Wichita. Almost nine when we moved back to Detroit. My sister, three years older than the twins, still regards her childhood in Kansas as a truly great time in the life of our family.

We were pretty poor. I knew it. My brother and sister knew it. My dad worked as a youth minister for a congregation in Wichita and also drove a school-bus to supplement his income. These were some of the best of times for our family. For starters, we had great relationships (too many to name) and we became really close as a family. From dedication to the church, to picking up the sport of soccer (the official sport of Kansas I think), our time in Wichita was incredibly formative. I will never forget the Friday bus rides with my dad and the reward afterwards--splitting a grape soda at the local Quick Trip to talk about basketball (it was in Wichita that my brother and I realized there was more to my mom than we'd bargained for--she frequently beat us in one-on-two hoops in the driveway on the backboard and hoop constructed by my father), soccer, and Jesus.

All of these memories are flooding my mind this weekend as I'm in Wichita for the first time since 1998. During my freshmen year of college I came to Oklahoma City to visit my brother in college (he was there to play tennis and study accounting). On a whim, we decided to come to Wichita, to see some of the people who shaped our lives when we were younger.

Yesterday, I stepped off the plane, and took a deep breath.

I am here to present to the East Point Church (and their leadership) all of the work I've accumulated in Jesus Feast. Last night went well. I'm on my way to meet with the key leaders of the church . . . to talk about this elusive phrase "postmodern culture."

Lucas is going to join Kara and me in a few short months. In fact, today's is the Baby Shower. I pray to God every day that I will provide the space and ethos for him as was given to me. A space to dream, ask big questions, go my own way only to know that for all of us, home is the most important four letter word we'll ever encounter.

1 comment:

Kari Dawson said...

You are going to be an incredible father!