22 February 2009

No Line on the Horizon

A friend of mine handed me a CD case this morning as he was leaving church. I didn't really think anything of it initially. Then, I started to put clues together. This friend is a radio exec in Metro Detroit . . . very savvy regarding music and film culture.

After I finished up the conversation I was in when said friend handed me the CD disc, I looked down and realized I'd just been handed an advanced copy of No Lion in the Horizon--U2's new album set to come out in a few weeks.

I'm listening to it right now. So far, it's solid. Get On Your Boots is rocking my world.

There are many reasons I love U2. Regarding lyrics, they are superior. Bono writes almost everything they do. Philosophically and theologically, their music fits together with so many of the things I'm interested in. And, some of the things I'm interested in are a direct result of U2's influence. I can't think of another band that sings as well as U2 in concert with things that matter. So many people are skeptical of religion. U2 represents an understanding of faith I want to emulate in my own life. "Religion is what's left over when God's left the building," Bono has (in)famously noted.

They do this album after album after album.

If you are interested in seeing what happens when a group of people learn how to intersect modern culture with deep spirituality, check out U2.

5 comments:

David said...

Well, not to steal your thunder, Mr. Graves, but it is also available advanced on myspace as well. I listened to most of it. I too am a crazed U2 fan. I own every album save Boy, but I have Under a Blood Red Sky, so that covers the best of it.

On the new CD, I especially like "Magnificent" which is the second track. The lyrics are top notch as always. And to steal emergent venacular, every song has a "story". Yet, there are always morals. I think U2 is like a modern day fable. Ok, maybe not a fable, but a modern day Psalm.

Josh Graves said...

David,

Thanks for the note. I'm pretty oblivious to how this stuff works. Ha. Thanks for the information. I like "Magnificent" too. It's got a great vibe with a soothing sound. I'm going to listen to it right now that you mentioned it.

What did you think of "Get On Your Boots"?

David said...

Yes, I love "Get on Your Boots". It's odd though because Bono is clearly talking to a girlfriend or someone he has a crush on in the song, "Get on your boots, your sexy boots". He hasn't really gone into that realm since POP back in the mid 90's.

POP is an interesting album because Bono got quite sexual with several songs, but it's good that it was just a brief phase.

The thing about this album is I can see shades of several different albums. Bono is very pitchy in several songs like he was on the Joshua Tree album, but there are also many rhythmic parts like Rattle and Hum(which I think is an underrated album).

So, I have to ask, humor me Josh. What are your top 5 U2 albums?

Mine(in order):

1. War(far and above for me)
2. Rattle and Hum
3. Zooropa
4. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
5. Joshua Tree

Josh Graves said...

Top 4 (after that, it's a tie)

Joshua Tree
Rattle and Hum
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Great thoughts. I didn't know you were this BIG a U2 fan. Impressive.

David said...

Yep, I am convinced that I will probably wear out my War CD soon enough. I just think the great think about that album is you have a dichotomy between war in the first half and love in the second half. It just flows so well from song to song(other than a dud in the middle).

Honestly, when I hear 40, I get into such a worshipful mood. Sometimes, I can picture Bono jamming up in heaven with the angels dancing.

To get you even more freaked regarding my fandom, I also own the "Rattle and Hum" movie. In addition, I have two concert DVD's "Vertigo 2005" and U2 Live at Red Rocks("Under a Blood Red Sky").