03 May 2009

The Graves Family and Otter Creek

Today, Kara and I made public our new adventure (not to be confused with the Lucas Adventure). Beginning late summer, Kara and I will join the mission of the Otter Creek Church in Nashville, TN. This was a very difficult decision. We prayed. Cried. Discussed. Listened. Sought wisdom from mentors. Prayed some more. We feel God has called us to this new leadership role.

Leaving Rochester Church and Rochester College will not be easy. This has been a formative church. I was baptized in this church. I was married, to Kara, in this church family. Kara feels at home here; she has tremendous relationships. Both of our families live here. Yet, we believe God is working in all of this.

I will serve in the role as preaching and teaching minister. I will be the point/lead for the preaching and teaching that takes place at OC. In addition, I will be working alongside David Rubio, well-known OC youth minister, who will be transitioning to a new role. David and I will form the Otter Creek preaching/teaching team. David will also work in adult ministry. The team approach has worked well in the other churches I've been closely connected to (me and Patrick at Rochester; Rubel Shelly and John York at Woodmont Hills
). I look forward to working with the OC shepherds as well as David, Janet, Melanie, TJ, Doug, Phil, Murray, Steve, Vicki, Donna, Emma, and Becca.

The Otter Creek elders have a vision I'm excited about joining. I will write more about this in the coming months. They want to continue to be Christ' church in the community, taking risks to see more people come to see the Jesus Story as The Story.

The Rochester Church leadership team (elders and ministers) has been a rewarding team to work with. We've taken a lot of risks, doing things that most churches (in our denomination) are not willing to do for the sake of the kingdom. It's been a great joy to work alongside the elders along with Patrick, Jason, John, Chris, Dana, Karen, Sara, Kelly, Trudy, and Beth. Very few people get to wake up every day loving their vocation.

The immediate real adventure, becoming parents, should happen any day now. Just as we get the hang of that, we'll begin the journey to join the Otter Creek family for this new chapter.


17 comments:

phil said...

Thats awesome man!!! Congrats. I will love to hear how God will use you in Nashville.

Lance said...

Well, welcome back to the South! Hopefully this will allow our paths to cross again soon! I have some friends at OC... some Auburn and China connections. Keep us posted with dates for your move!

Matt said...

Great to hear. David Rubio is a great guy and I have heard good things about that congregation. I will keep your transition in my prayers. That can be quite a wild ride!

Anonymous said...

Congratualtions my friend. OC is a great place and they will be blessed to have you, Kara and Lucas.

Holly said...

Josh, I am Jimmy and Beth's daughter. Thank you so much for sharing what you know about Chloe, I am looking forward to learning more about her. Thank you!!

Congratulations on your new job, I know you will be missed. I have heard wonderful things about you guys from my parents, they love both of you so much!

Enjoy your new baby! He will change your life:)

Barecycles said...

God bless you and your family in this transition. I was telling Patrick via email it was odd to read this news literally minutes after visiting with Kyle Stephens who told me he was on his way to the Detroit area (from TN) for his residency.

judy thomas said...

I don't think I can convey how excited and prayerful I am over the decision we made and the configuration of the ministry--I know our work together will be a fruitful one and one that honors God in this community. Come before winter and bring your books!

Judy Thomas

Phil said...

Very excited to have you guys coming and working with Otter Creek. I know Rochester will miss you, but we're also very blessed to have you and your family.

Shane Coffman said...

Wow - exciting news! Congratulations to you and to the Otter Creek church. I think you will make a wonderful team for the kingdom in Nashville.

Russ said...

Congrats Josh and welcome back to Middle Tennessee! Not sure we've offically met, but I remember talking on the phone about Maury Hills. Remember that church?

Navalpride said...

I trust that God will provide an awesome story in which you will testify with; and Kara and baby Lucas also.

My younger brother is down that way. Hopefully I can make your paths meet so that you can minister to his wounded soul and bring him to the Kingdom.

Peace and blessings brother.

Chaplain Jim Hutson (Ordained)

Murray Sanderson said...

We are so excited!

Josh Graves said...

Phil, Lance, and Matt: Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Randy: I got your voicemail too. Thanks brother. You have always been a source of encouragement. Love you much bro.

Holly: We need to talk about "Chloe" soon. I had a great time talking with your mom a little about it at dinner last week.

barecycles: Interesting stuff.

Judy: now we can trade book lists in person!

Phil and Murray: looking fwd to working alongside you.

Shane: thanks for the note--I hope I get to see you at ZOE/Tulsa again.

NavalPride: Make sure you remind me of your bro in the fall and we'll reach out to him.

Russ: Of course I remember Maury Hills. I had a great time preaching there in September of 2004. I loved my experience.

Zack said...

God bless you and your whole family in this new ministry in a new place! God bless. Grace and Peace.

Dion said...

Hey Josh,
Congrats man on the move, and I pray that God will yuse your voice in the plight of ending injustice in our communities! Do yo thang!

Unknown said...

congrats bro--
hope everything goes well for you and your family

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You will bless them and they will bless you. You guys will be good Kingdom partners!