13 June 2007

Routine

I am, by experience and choice, a person of routines.

I need routines for they provide a framework of familiarity and transformation in my everyday life. When I pay attention to my life, I notices that God seems to be just as much interested in the minute knitty-gritty as he is the big and spectacular.

Justin Verlander, the phenomenal young pitchers for the Detroit Tigers, threw a no-hitter last night: The first since 1984 for a Tiger pitcher and only the sixth in the 107th season of Detroit Tiger baseball.

Last night and this morning people talked about the routines they kept during the no-hitter. One sportswriter said he kept his hand on his head, without ever moving it, from the sixth inning to the conclusion of the game. For you non-baseball fans, that’s at least one hour of resting one’s hand in the same awkward position. Another writer for the Detroit News made a similar confession in an interview. I confess that I did not move from the sixth inning on from my spot on the floor in my living room. The announcers calling the game never dared mention the phrase “no hitter” throughout the course of the telecast. We slip into routines because it allows us to be fully present in the moment at hand.

Here are some of my most common routines:

Studying/Reading. Reading is what calms my mind and my soul. Reading takes me into unknown worlds, changing my beliefs and awakening my imagination. I rarely go one day without reading.

Writing. Writing is so connected to reading (and teaching for that matter) that it is often difficult to distinguish between the two. I sometimes write so I even know what I think or feel about a particular person or experience. It is not as if I know what I believe and then try to figure out a way to articulate it. No, usually, as I sit down with a blank sheet of paper to prepare a class/sermon/teaching time (after I’ve studied of course) I write to see where my thoughts and convictions will lead. I’m often surprised at some of the things that flow out of me, things I did not know about myself. I rarely go more than one day without writing.

Sleeping. You may not think about sleep as part of your routines but sleeping is a spiritual experience for a few reasons: first, it reminds you that you are not God. Second, it reminds you that God is the one who is able to raise us from the dead (sleep as it were). I never go a day without sleeping.

Exercising. In an era where many sit behind desks, or drive cars, etc. exercise is as close to physical labor as many have the opportunity to experience (home improvement plans notwithstanding). There is a mysterious connection between our bodies and our soul—and that relationship is unlocked in physical exercise.

Working. I love to work. I love projects, problems, ideas, challenges, and yes, even people (one friend is famous for saying, “Church would be great if not for the people”). I believe that work can be redemptive if and when we see our particular vocations as contributing to the betterment of creation and other people. Whether one is a teacher, minister, accountant, or engineer, God gifts us with ways to bring about justice, solidarity, community and good. I rarely go a day without working and I’m working on that.

"Routine is one of God's great gifts to humanity." Fred B. Craddock

4 comments:

Kara Graves said...

I just wish I could have had your reaction to the no-hitter on video. I am sure our neighbors were wondering what was going on with all the yelling, throwing, and jumping around ;)

Ash, Kel n Ella said...

That no-no was very exciting. I heard of a couple who would get up and do normal things while the Tiger's batted. When Verlander was pitching they'd return to the same seats and same positions as they first were in.

My routines even extend to eating. You name a restuarant and I'll give you what I order 99% of the time. I don't like to try new food.

I'm also Sean Casey-like when it comes to pre-bat or pre-shot routines. I may not do the funky chicken like he does but what I do happens each at bat or golf swing. It calms me.
Ash

Stephanie Corp said...

That no-hitter was amazing! I wish I had tickets to that game. By the way, did I tell you I finally got tickets to a Cubs game? Wrigley was amazing!

As for routine, I can't decide if I need more or less of it...have to think about that one...

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for that post about Kite Runner!

And by the way... Anne Lamont... she's amazing. Do you have anything else that she's written? You may have just inadvertently become my own personal library.