06 December 2006

Remembering Jack



Some of you have heard me talk, write and get excited over Professor Jack, a man I’d been honored to work with in Cass Park and the Salvation Army Shelter across from the Masonic Temple downtown.

I got a call yesterday from Francis, one of Jack’s friends in the shelter.

“Josh…it’s not good.”

“What’s not good?”

“It’s Jack, man. He died. They rushed him out of here to Detroit Receiving. I know you were working with him, I know you were close. I just thought I’d call to tell you.”

“Francis, you have no idea how much this phone call means to me…”

I attended the viewing and funeral for John “Jack” Iannuchi yesterday and today. Here’s the death notice from the Detroit News:

IANNUCCI JOHN B


December 05, 2006 "JACK" Age 50, December 1, 2006. Loving father of Melissa Iannucci (Rich Thompson), Jacqueline, Lia, and Ezra. Cherished grandfather of Devin, Sydney, and Zoe. Dearest son of John (Yolanda) and the late Barbara. Brother of Patricia (Jon) Iannucci-Waller, Lea, Dino, Nancy (David) Welke and the late Frank. Uncle of Dylan, Alex, and Isabella. Former husband of Patty. Liz, mother of Jack's son Ezra. Funeral Wednesday Noon at the A.H. Peters Funeral Home, 20705 Mack Ave. at Vernier Rd., Grosse Pointe Woods. Visitation Tuesday 2-9 p.m. with a Rosary at 7 p.m. Memorials may be made to the Salvation Army, 16130 Northland Drive, Southfield, MI 48075.

* * *

Last night, Jack’s daughters huddled around my phone to listen to his voice. I had saved a voicemail he’d left me last week wishing me a belated Happy Thanksgiving. “I’m really sorry I can’t make it,” (we were supposed to have dinner together) “I’ve just been feeling awful lately.” His sisters and daughters had not heard his voice in quiet some time. You haven’t lived until men like Jack leave you messages on your phone.

The family, to my complete surprise, asked me to have a part in the funeral today because Jack told us about the “priest he’d been working with.” Never had I been so proud to be called “priest.”

I could barely get the words out at the funeral. I told his family that Jack had a mind of great intellect. My 200 plus hours of undergraduate and graduate education in college were no match for his wisdom. More than a great mind, Jack had a huge heart. “Very few people,” I stammered, “possess great knowledge and great love. Jack—your father, brother, husband, and grandfather—was such a person.”

Here’s a photo a college student took one Sunday afternoon we spent in Cass Park. Jack is on the park bench in the middle.

I’m feeling a little numb right now. I’m not really sure if I should share something so intensely private on the World Wide Web. Yet…I know…deep down that Jack’s story need’s to be told.


Tonight, as I drive home from work, I’ll be thinking about Jack. It will be about 18 degrees outside, Jack would say: “cold as hell, man.”

I’m a better follower of Jesus for knowing Jack. Even more important, I’m a better human being.

11 comments:

Stephanie Corp said...

Josh--your words at the funeral were poinant, genuine, and beautiful--I am so glad the family asked you to speak...you managed to put into words much of what I have been feeling...we are all better people and better servant for having known Jack...

--Steph

Courtney Strahan said...

What you said this morning was truly beautiful. I am glad that I could go and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to meet Jack.

Emily said...

Josh,
Just so you know, you are changing lives with the way that you teach, preach, and live. If it hadn't been for your class and the community justice assignment, I'd have never felt the pull to tag along on the trip to Cass Park. In turn, I'd have never met Jack and he'd have never affected my life in the profound way that he did.
Thank you for opening the door to experiences that have been and are continuing to change the way that I live my life and the way that I interact with others.
Emily

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh,

On behalf of my family and my sisters we would like to thank you for your kind and touching words at the funeral service. I would be very interested to know more about your relationship with my father.

Sincerely,
Jacqueline

Please email me at JSIannucci@netscape.net

Josh Graves said...

I've had this thought over the last several hours. Jack probably would've died regardless of Stephanie, Kara and I (and many others) coming into his life.

Building the relationship we did, that was a heck of a thing...even if only for a short period of time.

I still believe Jack could've made it out, I really do. That's why I'm filled with so much pain.

Anonymous said...

right on, josh. thanks for sharing this with me. you're a good man.

strength and honor, my friend.

jason mac

Anonymous said...

Josh,
Thank you for sharing your relationship with Jack with us. I'm thankful God brought you two together. Thank you for being an authentic disciple of Jesus, who spent all his time in the margins. What a God we serve!
Matt Deaton
p.s. Can you email me your address to mtdeaton@insightbb.com. Tiffany and I would like to send you and Kara a Christmas card.

Anonymous said...

wow. thanks for sharing, jg.

Emily said...

haha, you may want to consider bringing a stick to class tomorrow; it might come in handy if the class attacks you upon your arrival. :)

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I am kind of late to this story. Haven't had time to read much lately. Really inspiring. I believe this is happening throughout God's kingdom, but many are left uninspired because those engaged have no time to communicate what it can mean to others.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

thank you josh and everyone who has shared how my dad or his story has touched your life.
i last saw him on thanksgiving. he was a bit withdrawn (NOT normal for a man who never stops talking) but i didn't think much of it and now i wish i had been able to have at least one more great conversation with him.
every conversation with him was something new. a new story, something new to learn, a new joke (which i actually did get to hear from him now that i think about it!), it was always something new with him. he always had something interesting to share and genuinely loved to hear what everyone else had to say.
he taught me many great things that have made me who i am today.
his life ended in an unfortunate way but he touched so many many people that i know and might never even get the chance to meet. he loved to talk to everyone he came across. not just a quick hello either - with a cashier at cvs, a waitress at a resturant, my neighbors, my friends. he'd strike up a real conversation with you no matter who you were or how long he might be in your company. didn't matter. and then he'd walk away knowing a bit about you and remembering it too. i wish i had more of that in me from him. it is a great gift to have and to share. but it was one of the things that made him unique. i have really never known another person even remotely similar to that man.