19 December 2006

Jack, Dry Bones

Since the passing of Professor Jack, I've not felt the urgency to write. I've been quite empty actually. I'm slowly healing from the sudden loss; Kara and I are pouring our money and time into another young man, who I plan on writing about in the future.

In a few weeks, I'll be in Denver, Colorado to witness a good friend get married. While I'm there I'm also going to spend some time with the radical followers of Jesus who run Dry Bones, a ministry for the young poor and young homeless of inner city Denver. Here is a recent reflection from one of the directors of this ministry effort.

Conversation is the most amazing invention. I guess someone invented it. However it came about I am glad to have it. I cannot imagine life without conversation. How lifeless life would be if all we had were just the facts and only the facts. I sat with one of my friends this week and utilized the incredible life asset of conversation. We sat and conversed about the trivial and the serious poking fun at both. We discovered things we liked and disliked. Sitting there enjoying conversation I found out my friend really wanted to explore a certain job opportunity he always dreamed about doing. The one thing he felt stood in his way was a physical appearance issue that kept him from pursuing his dream. Through life choices, he has literally destroyed his teeth. At a very young age, he has only nubs of teeth were once pearly whites gleamed. The consequence is bigger than he could have known. He has lost the confidence that anyone would take him seriously with a mouth full of bits and pieces of teeth. Not to mention the constant pain he endures. He said he wanted to get his teeth fixed first and then nothing would stop him. It dawned on me that this very conversation had empowered him to have the confidence to share with me his struggles and hopes so maybe just maybe I could use conversation to help find a way to reach his dream. It is obvious I cannot pull teeth much less repair them. However, I can converse about it. I asked him if it would help if someone went with him to the free clinic to check on getting him some help. With a look of curious expectation, he answered yes. I added what if they stayed with you and then bought some ice cream afterwards. He said that could work. I told him I would love to do that for him all he had to do is tell me when and where.

Later that evening my friend asks if Monday would be ok for us to go to the clinic. You bet I said and we made the arrangements. He smiled. I mean he smiled! Maybe I do know who it was that invented this conversation thing. Maybe you do as well:

Support Robbie Goldman/Dry Bones Denver

455 S Youngfield Ct

Lakewood, Co 80228

www.drybonesdenver.org

www.goldman-kr.blogsot.com

2 comments:

Courtney Strahan said...

I love seeing those smiles... Especially the ones in Cass Park.

Josh, you and Kara are such a blessing to the people there. It is very humbling to watch you two serve and to serve with you. I am looking forward to seeing what God is going to do through you and Kara.

-Courtney.

Emily said...

hey, for some reason, that second link isn't taking me anywhere; I'd like to see what I can do to help. could you email me and let me know?

Em