17 May 2006

Conversation #2

It is a bit arrogant to quote yourself, but this is from an article I wrote for Wineskins...I think it rings true in my reading of "Clearing the Playing Field":

The top question of the day for American churches is not whether we are right, rationale, or biblically accurate. Whether we have a progressive worship service on Sunday’s or whether we are on the cutting edge in our particular tribe. The top question for the Church is, “Do we understand who God is and the way he understands worship?” Our lives are worship more than the songs that flow from our lips. The Living God is calling the church to be a prophetic people. To be prophetic in the way Jesus taught and lived while he was among us, revealing the Kingdom of God.

I love what Peterson does with the phrase "spiritual theology." In fact, I'm going to unpack this for a moment.

First, I think we need to talk more about the gnostic tendencies in American Christianity or maybe it is just Christianity in general. I think the appeal to the DaVinci Code, for instance, is that it is simply a new (old really) set of beliefs. If I believe in the right to live, personal responsibility, my country--then I'm a faithful Christian. I can root, cheer, believe, admire, and even worship Jesus so long as I don't actually have to follow his way and teachings. Luke-Acts (in conjunction with a discussion about "belief" in the ancient world vs. modern constructs) would serve as a healthy remedy to the disease of gnosticism.

Second, a sound-byte may illuminate what I'm trying to say. Why are eastern religions so appealing to Westerners? In the West, Christianity presents itself as a philosophical system whereas Eastern religions present themselves as a way of life. What I'm saying, Christianity started out as an eastern religion! Rodney Clapp's phrase "Constantinian Gnosticism" seems appropriate here.

Now to theology. Coming from a religious movement (Restoration Movement) that almost devalues theological education (hence our pride in self-taught preachers) I find this to be an extremely important element. We need women and men who've wrestled with the great thinkers of the twentieth century, who've been challenged by James Cone, Guitterez (sp?) et al. We need folks who understand the complexity and mystery of trinity without offering a Kool-Aid "esque" explanation.

But we need theologians to also be practicioners. That's the genius of Peterson. Here's a first class theologian who's committed to the work of local pastorates.I don't know a whole lot of spiritual theologians. I know a lot of spiritual people who carry around some unhealthy theology (myself included) and I know some great theologians who've never actually embodied the Good Samaritan.

Confession: I would rather hide out in the office, writing this reflection than go and put my arm around the woman in the hallway who just found out her husband is leaving her. So, today, the word from God, is to be less "theological" and more "spiritual" (to use Peterson's language). To be more passionate about living according to the rythyms of the gospel than knowing the text.


P.S. I may put some of our discussion on my blog, if I have your permission to do so.


Peace.

Josh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Worship is more than the songs that flow from our lips"

I cant agree anymore. Too often I see many peoples "religion" consist of 1 hour a week in a marked building.

But God shows us in the bible that all of the people that pleased him the most showed it during times of temptations, trials, and dealings with not so friendly individuals.

Our assembly and worship as a group of Christians, I am sure is a sweet aroma to God, but our conduct towards and around non-believers is a much better display of our faith in God and Jesus.

I share in your desire to see everyone (including myself) proclaiming our belief in Jesus through our day to day walk on this earth.