27 May 2006

Christ Plays in Creation: Conversation #4

NOTE: Continuing the dialogue between a pastor in Rochester, MI and two missionaries in Uganda, we are considering the important work of Eugene Peterson's Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology. Right now, we're considering chapter two: Christ Plays in Creation.


I want to hone in on Peterson's description of "Gnosticism," (pg. 59ff). Peterson draws out these primary threads for understanding Gnosticism (which we'll generally define as the privatization/hiddenness of truth or the modern notion that belief and praxis are two separate things). The parallels to Western Christianity are apparent. I'm curious to hear how a westerner writing about western faith resonates with westerners living in Uganda.

*Metaphysical alienation: The material world is temporary, passing away. In fundy lingo, "It's all going to burn anyway, who cares?" Because God is spirit, we should not invest ourselves in the material ignoring the fact that Creation is good/very good and that we (material and spiritual beings) are created in the image of God.

*Secret lore: Hidden truth is the one path to salvation. Da Vinci Code smacks of this--which forces me to ask myself, why are people so attracted to this hidden salvation/revelation? Is it because it lets us off the hook from the radical demands of the gospel, or the sacrificial demands of local faith communities? Is it because Da Vinci code is inherently against metanarratives (Roman Catholics, Universal Church, Opus Dei, Patriarchy).

*Escapism: "We escape from everything except the self, we escape from the world into the self," (61). Peterson will later remind us that I am not myself, when I am by myself. I am made to live in community, relationship and dependency on others (wives, families, faith community, neighborhood's), etc.

*Few souls: This Gnosticism is only found and achieved by a few...good remnant theology. We see this in extreme fundamentalism and extreme liberalism, it's really good ol' fashion pride and arrogance. God is not interested in saving the world (cosmos) BUT in a few people. How depressing is that?

*Individualism: Private interpretation is encouraged (i.e. self taught is a virtue) and it seems that Gnosticism can be prone to a historical reflection.

Stanley Hauerwas said to a group of preachers and professors this week, quoting someone else I believe, "The hardest thing to do is to live where you are."

God places us in specific geographical locations, ethnicities, relationships, times and worldviews to ask the question C.S. Lewis asked when writing about Narnia. "Once I created Narnia, I asked myself, now how would God redeem that world?"

"Gnosticism offers us spirituality without the inconvenience of creation...spirituality without the inconvenience of sin and morality...spirituality without the inconvenience of people who don't like or who aren't 'our kind.' And maybe most attractive of all...a spirituality without God, at least any god other than the spark of divinity I sense within me," (62).

Peace.

Josh

1 comment:

Bradford L. Stevens said...

Every thread of distraction from the gospel begins with "gnosis". We all want the secret "knowledge" to be one up on everyone else! I Cor. 8:2 " If any one imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know. " Even Socrates discovered this truth! It is part of original sin. After all it was the "Knowledge" of Good and Evil that got us all into trouble in the first place. Or as Brother Paul puts it knowledge "puffs up" and love "builds up".

I am enjoying reading your blog. I am usually in stealth mode; but, thanks for letting me butt into your dialogue.