07 September 2005

Rabbi Yeshua

NOTE: The following is based on NT Wright, Rob Bell (Nooma Videos and Velvet Jesus), and Ray Vanderlaan’s “One Focus" teaching from a National Pastors Conference held this year.

Jesus the Rabbi. One of the more compelling aspects of the Jewish world I’ve studied over the last few years is the relationship between rabbi and disciple. Jesus was often referred to as rabbi (teacher). Many have written on this subject, some on academic levels and others on more popular levels. It is thought that there were three basic divisions in the Jewish educational system in the ancient world.

1.Bet-serif. This began about the age of 6. Young boys would spend most of their time memorizing the Torah. Now, for some of us recovering legalists, we have to remember that Torah is not LAW but “teaching, instruction, the way.” The Torah is not the Ten Commandments only it is Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. These young boys would be able to recite these first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures. Memorized! Genesis-Deuteronomy—and I thought my grad program was tough.

2.Bet-Talmud. Most boys would move into apprenticeship roles after this first level of education. But for those who showed exceptional ability some would continue in their religious studies. In this period (from 10 to 15 or so) the young men would memorize the rest of the Hebrew Scriptures: Genesis to Malachi!

3.Bet-midrash. Now the playing field gets dwindled down even smaller. After 15 or so, some men would approach different rabbis in order to become their full-time disciples. Most were turned away but some were chosen by the rabbi. Typically a young boy would latch himself to a rabbi, learning the way of a rabbi (his yoke) until he was ready to step out and become a rabbi himself. This usually didn’t happen until age 30. The point of following the rabbi is fascinating. These men do not simply desire to think like the rabbi—they want to do what the rabbi does because they want to be like the rabbi.

Now, think about this in the context of Jesus for a minute. Jesus comes along around the age of 30 and approaches some individual men who are fishermen, and tax collectors. These are not the elite these are the “he’ll do” men in the given region. They’ve been passed over at some point in the past because they didn’t have what it took to become a religious star. Jesus comes along and says, “Follow me.” Essentially he’s saying, “I think you have what it takes to become a disciple and possibly rabbi.” No wonder the men drop their nets, and ledger books to follow Jesus. Jesus believes in them. “You didn’t choose me, I chose you!”

These men will stumble to understand his teachings, the nature of the Kingdom, the purpose of the cross and the implications of the resurrection. But at the end of their fumbling, Jesus looks at them and commissions them to go into the world to make disciples of all people-regardless of region, gender, education and money. By the grace and power of the spirit Jesus sends them off to be light in the darkness. As one pastor says, “your faith may waver in God, but his faith in you is rock solid.”

11 comments:

Jason said...

This entire lesson shed a new-light on the disciples and what type of environment they grew-up in. How many of us have been "looked over"? How many of us stumble in our walk with Christ? I know I do, I dont think im the only one. They were persistent and guided by the same spirit we are guided by . . .Im encouraged by this revelation!

Anonymous said...

Jason I completely agree with you, we all know how it feels to be overlooked, and walk while stumbling. I know for a fact i can't stand it, i hate it. I also know to be acknowledged as a person, a being is a great feeling. when your friend comes to surprise you or a stranger does a good dead in your favor, there is no greater feeling in lfe i have felt yet so far as to know someone loves you. Whats even mindboggling amazing is God always loves you, which is the greatest feeling of all.

Jason said...

Ben - aigght. . it feels great, its nice to hear someone else is out there with similar feelings; It is unfathomable, an agape love. . praise God !

C.Jenko said...

I'm so glad Josh brought this up. I've listened to a tape of Rob Bell talking about this and I've seen the Nooma video "Dust". So this idea has been on my mind for quite awhile. In fact my roommate Amanda (who is also in the class) and I were talking about this as we were reading though Matthew together. So we were really excited when Josh started talking to us in class about it. This is an aspect that has been overlooked for awhile now and its time we embrace Jesus as "Rabbi". He is calling us to take up our cross and follow Him. He never said it was going to be easy. That's where America has it messed up. Here we talk about how hard it can be to walk up to someone and say you're a christian. But that's nothing. Think of places around the world where you can be killed for confessing faith in Christ. Those are the kind of followers Jesus wants. Those who will unashamedly proclaim the Gospel to the ends of the earth. Jesus isn't interested in luke-warm christians. He is interested in a life compleatly abandoned to Him. The things He did, He wants you to do. He didn't say, "Buy the coolest christain T-shirt so everyone will know you are a christain." He said, "Go into the world and make disciples." "Care for the ones I did, resist those I resisted." Be covered in the dust of your Rabbi Jesus and may you reflect Him in all that you do and say.

Anonymous said...

I can totally understand what everyone has said so far...but what really gets to me is that grilling question..."What are you gonna do about it?" (Don't take that like I'm being rude...please!) I see people every day who will confess their love for God in front of others...but its not all talk or walk with God...most of the time its listening and learning, God put us here for a reason...what do you do when you e a person that is "socially undesirable" sitting alone?? Would you SACRIFICE your own IMAGE to share the love that Christ has given you..isn't that part of taking up the Rabbi's yolk?? Just something to stew on...

Jason said...

Nikki,
U-R right and not rude, what am I and we gonna do ! Im workin on changes daily, particularly my discipline and the time I set up for prayer. . .

Anonymous said...

Nikki--

This is why serving the poor ala God's Helping Hands is a requirement for the New Testament class :)....good question however.

See you guys on Tuesday afternoon!

Anonymous said...

Two years ago I met Justin, he lives in Brazil and his father is a missionary. We went to Winterfest together and got really close. He inspired me to be a better christian, life live, and spread the gospel. We were asked the question "what are you gunna do about it" and here is my answer. Not only will i risk my image to sit by someone, I will risk my life out in the mission field to spread the gospel, and help the needy. I want to help in any way and I believe I try to do that, maybe not my hardest but I try. God works in mysterious ways...I went to the worship today at 3 at Rochester C of C and I will have to admit I have never witnessed first hand the generosity that was poured out. The congregation (meaning everyone in that church) gave so much for the disaster relief that I was floored. Praise God, for these people did something about it. Now im not trying to sound snobby or defensive, I just well if anyone wants to join me out in the mission field you are more than welcome! I want to encourage the entire class to do something about it. It doesnt even have to be major. Seriously every little bit helps. And I know its hard, Im not perfect I have passed up many chances to do something about it but everything starts at the bottom and then works its way up. Prayer works best.

C.Jenko said...

It's refreshing to hear another Courtney passionate about missions! Your heart is in the right place, God will do great things with your servant attitude. We should talk sometime, I'd love to hear more about what God has placed on your heart. Josh, I want to thank you for the wonderful discussion we all had on Saturday at the leadership conference. I feel alot closer to the others in the group and I've been thinking about the things we all talked about. Thank you for the hand you had in Sunday's service, I believed it really touched all who were there.
~Excited for class tomorrow,
Courtney Jenko

Josh Graves said...

Courtney,

Keep bringing these encouraging words to the blog. I've enjoyed having you in class and know that the LORD is surely at work in your life. At work in powerful ways.

believingthomas said...

Josh,
This is compelling. I have a question for you. We grow up with this carpenter Jesus, Do you think it probable/ possible that Jesus went through Bet-serif,Ben-Talmud,Bet-midrash phases as well? If he did how does that change our understanding?