13 September 2005

No Longer...

Men and women gathered, this past Sunday, from all different walks of life to pray and raise money for the survivors of Hurricane Katrina. People from black and white backgrounds sang prayed to their Creator for healing and divine presence. People from different neighborhoods uttered the classic words "Our God, He is Alive." African American ministers preaced with their unique cadence and pace. White ministers told their best stories of faith in the midst of joy. It was truly a time in which, if you looked close enough, Christ was present in the tears, confession, and prayers of his people.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus," The words of St. Paul in Galatians 3:28.

The words of America's greatest preacher were on my mind throughout the entire program: "At times, life is hard, as hard as crucible steel. It has its bleak and painful moments. Like the ever-flowing waters of a river, life has its moments of drought and its moments of flood. Like the ever-changing cycle of the seasons, life has the soothing warmth of the summers and the piercing chill of its winters. But through it all, God walks with us. Never forget that God is able to lift you from the fatigue of despair to the buoyancy of hope, and transform dark and desolate valleys into sunlit paths of inner peace," (Martin Luther King Jr., Eulogy for the Martyred Children, 1963).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was able to attend that service, and there are few times that I have been as moved, and as touched as I was then. Being there in the midst of followers from all different walks of life was absolutely amazing. It was true what many said, it shouldn't take a tragedy to bring all of us together. Another point that was made, was that we shouldn't refer to those left in the aftermath of the hurricane as "victims", but rather "survivors." I hope and pray that we can unite like that in the future,only under more joyous circumstances.

*Marcy

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's all I really can say. that service was amazing. There was so much power in that room. During "Our God, He is Alive" I got goosebumps and tears came to my eyes. There were so many of God's people in that room it just blew my mind. I come from a church of under 100 and to go to a much larger church is wonderful for me. I love it and having the place packed was just... awesome. All of those people are my family. They all care no matter if they know me or not and that unconditional love is what God intended for us. I just know it.

Jason said...

Praise God ! Hopefully more integrated services will take place; intergrated racially, and denominationally. Check out my blog by clicking on my name; I still have friends that are living in the world and I forwarded them my blog address today. .there may be some interesting comments from them or they may be no comments. I haven't talked to some of them in a few years; im expecting heavy criticism, which through faith I will be thankful for!

Jason said...

Josh thanks for introducing blogs to me and the class www.challengeoflife.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I attended the service on Sunday and I was blessed to see the different races worshipping together. I found myself looking at the congregation a lot. It was my first service at our school's church and at a Church of Christ church. The singing was beautiful! I was so blessed to see professors,other school administrators,and students on such an occassion as that one. Just blessed!!!!

Tater_Pez said...

Thanks be to all of you who allow God to work thru you...It sounds like God is "alive" out there in MI.

Praise to Him!!

The hurricane is bringing many people together for they realize that what is important is loving each other,as Christ loved us.

Anonymous said...

coolness!! I have totally lost faith in God before and it took something like that to get me back on the right track...my biggest goal in life is to be that person that helps in getting back on track. kindof off track, but the ultimate faith in God shows when you can forget all about your own crap and help others...