05 June 2008

Texas Lessons

I was fortunate to spend yesterday with people from the Bammel Church of Christ in Houston. Jonathan Ross invited me several months back to speak at their "Life In the Red Zone" summer series.

Before I began the teaching time for their Wednesday night service, I shared my "Most Important Facts to Know About Texas." I figured I'd be back on the plane at 5am this morning, . . . it was worth the risk.

Cue the dramatic music. Here are the most important facts to know.

#1 Not every city looks like Abilene.

#2 Evidently, a football team plays in Dallas.

#3 Despite the legend of the Alamo, Nolan Ryan's destruction of Robin Ventura is the stuff real legends are made of.

#4 The Bammel Ministry Staff might be the best ping pong cohort in Churches of Christ.

#5 (H)Akeem Olajuwon no longer plays for the Rockets.

#6 "Gringos" is a restaurant not a derogatory Spanish term reserved for White Americans.

I thought it would be arrogant to have seven, but then again . . . I'm not Jewish.

#7 There are actually four countries in North America: Canada, Mexico, U.S.A., and . . . Texas

#7b (Dr. Pepper is from Texas not heaven . . . who knew?) . . . this one didn't make the cut.

2 comments:

preacherman said...

Great post.
I love Dublin Dr. Pepper. mmmmmmmm.
You are right about every city doesn't look like Abilene or Lubbock.
I had been asked this question at a job interview: "Why does Texas Stadium have a whole in the roof? I had to answer so God could watch his team win!!!
Go cowboys.
Go spurs..
Yeah!!!!!!!!!

Hol said...

You visited the city J and I live in, and didn't tell anyone? ;)

Yes, thank goodness Houston doesn't look like Abilene. Even though I spent 5+ years of my life living in Abilene, I don't really care to live there again. Visiting would be okay.