22 February 2007

Walk on: U2’s Mission

Bono et al are enigmatic figures for many. In his new book Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2, Steve Stockman takes the reader through the making, formation and journey of (arguably) the greatest rock band on the planet: U2.

There are many highlights in this book. Here are a few:

• Stockman gets behind the meaning and historical/personal situations that produced many of the lyrics in U2’s music. The chapter in which he deals with “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” (and how many have misunderstood the meaning of the song) is the worth the price of the book alone.

• The author deals with the controversy surrounding U2’s love/hate relationship with evangelical faith and American “Wal-Mart” Christianity.

• Bono’s spirituality (love for Christian community, social justice) fills up many of the pages and anecdotal narratives making this an accessible book for readers of all levels of interest. Bono once said in an interview, “…Faith in Jesus Christ that is not aligned to social justice—that is not aligned with the poor—it’s nothing.”

• Bono’s own apparent ethical contradictions get some attention in the research and reflection in the pages of Walk On.

I’m not finished with the book, but the highlight so far has been the background regarding Bono’s influence in the war/tension/hate between the Protestants and Catholics in Ireland. If music is the primary language of humanity, the most palatable way we experience genuine change, I’m grateful we have women and men ala Bono et al articulating a prophetic voice in an apathetic world. He may not fit the classic definition of fundamentalist Christian, but he certainly has his pulse on the importance of embodied ethics as we all enter into this post-Christian era in the West. As I’ve said often, quoting someone much smarter than me, “In a pluralistic world, a religion will be judged on how it treats its non-adherents.” I don’t know a finer example in the crazy world that is music/film/entertainment than U2.

So…do you have a favorite U2 song? My favorite is “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”…listed below.

I have climbed highest mountain
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you

I have run
I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in her fingertips
It burned like fire
This burning desire

I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
Well yes I'm still running

You broke the bonds and you
Loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
Of my shame
You know I believed it

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

8 comments:

Eric said...

This is a good book, Josh. I quickly read it a year or so ago and really enjoyed it.

I don't know if I can nail down a favorite, but I would have to say that "Vertigo" is up there on the list. I love the brilliant imagery of Jesus in the desert, dealing the disorientation and vertigo of the temptations. I think the line "Just give me what I want and no one gets hurt" is brilliant.
I also like the allusion to 2 Cor 4 in "All because of You": "I’m not broke but you can see the cracks, You can make me perfect again."
Anyway, I could go on, but will stop there. I'm sure there are plenty of others with their own favorites.

Courtney Strahan said...

when you're done with the book, could i borrow it? it sounds quite interesting. i especially like the last quote you included.

i have 3 favorites...i can't pick one over the other: One, Where the Streets Have No Name and Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Anonymous said...

Josh,

Sorry for the off subject commenting. I just wanted to give you a feedback on whats been going on.

Brazil is a yes.(Unless I hear otherwise)

Some of my work will be in Emerging Artist (Thanks to your recommendation?)..if all goes well in the Darkroom this Sat

and I wanted to ask you on what you felt about the War in Iraq..(random question I know I'm just wondering your position on it)

-Chloe

Emily said...

I'm not the most avid U2 listener in the world, but I love 'Beautiful Day'.

"Touch me, take me to that other place
Teach me, I know I'm not a hopeless case"

"What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow"

....so good. :)

Anonymous said...

Eric, Good call on on the 2 Co. allusion.

Courtney-yes, you can borrow it, just remind me.

Chloe--thanks for the note, I'm excited for you to go to Brazil. As for the war in Iraq, that's a complicated one...did Claiborne's book make you think about this more? Let's talk.


Emily--what's the latest with the family from COTS (and Mark Staton).

Emily said...

I've called Mark twice and gotten his voicemail. I'll keep trying, though, and you'll be the first person I update on what happens. Thanks for the lead! You rock. :)

Em

Emily said...

hey, Josh! I have a surprise for you!! :)

Anonymous said...

Josh,

I was watching the news a little while ago and just observing around me, claiborne's book took great part in it too i guess. I guess I'm torn on the issue...I feel that people are disregarding the Iraqi's in the issue..as if they arent human. Students of middle eastern discent are being ridiculed more often now and I was wondering a bit about Saddam..(sounds weird I know) He killed millions yet he was human too...I dont know what I should be feeling towards his recent death.

I've been thinking about it lately because some of my friends in high school and college are or are planning on shipping out.

--it was nice to see you at Emerging Artists...I was a little stressed out from....something else.Thank you for the compliment! I'll be at the Brazil meeting sunday as well

-Chloe