09 January 2007

The Messiah of Morris Avenue: Jesus in the Bronx

The Messiah of Morris Avenue by Tony Hendra (author of Father Joe) is one of the better novels I’ve read over the last few years. A friend of mine, spiritual guru really, suggested I read this.

The story is simple. In the Bible, Jesus of Nazareth came to redeem Judaism (“to do for Israel what Israel could not do for herself,” as N.T. Wright has written). Jay of the Bronx comes to redeem Christianity. In the person of Jay, God attempts to call Christianity back to it roots of radical hospitality, love, and solidarity with the marginalized around us. And like the first time God walked among us, the religious and politicians form a strange marriage and end up killing Jay, the son of God.

I would not classify this novel as a Christian novel; one that could be purchased at the Family Christian Bookstore for its theology is far deeper than most “Christian” novels. This novel challenges the way we do “church” America, and the way we think about ethics, discipleship, faith, and worship.

I am going to use this novel for an upcoming trip to the Bronx in which several college students from Rochester College will be working with The Bronx Fellowship of Christ, a house church movement in one of New York City’s largest boroughs.

Some of my favorite segments of the novel:

Depicting the rich young man who wants to follow Jesus (Pg. 167):

We were taken downstairs to the dressing rooms by security, and standing by the NO ENTRY ARMED ENFORCEMENT sign was a short-haired familiar-looking woman in jeans and a baggy sweater. She was holding a brown-paper supermarket bag and looked a bit scared as we approached. Jay gave her the one-arm bear hug: “Bobbi! You did it?”

She nodded. I wouldn’t have recognized her, though I’d interviewed her for an hour. Stripped of the Grecian ringlets, the plastic mask, the body armor of designer clothes, she was a person, not a billboard. Instead of Chanel, she smelled of peace.

She handed him the bag, which was stuffed with bundles of C-notes. My guess was it contained at least a hundred grand. Without even looking at it, Jay gave it to Maria. “Now I can follow you,” said Bobbi.

“You sure can.” Jay laughed, hugging her again. And in we went.

Addressing those who claim that “God is on their side” (192):

I have always hated wars waged in my name. God is on our side! Gott mit uns! Deus Vult! God Bless America! I am on no one’s side. I am not on America’s side, or Islam’s, or Israel’s, or Europe’s. I have never been on the British, German, the Spanish, the Dutch, the Catholic, or the Protestant side; I did not uphold the Crusades, not Muhammad. I did not guide the hand of David or Solomon, or the hand of Caesar or Alexander or Ptolemy.

And…the Lord’s Prayer (150)

…in heaven and in our hearts, blessed be Your name and blessed by your infinite strength.

Feed us with the food we need, teach us to sow the seed of love, hold our hands when we walk alone and afraid.

Forgive us the evil we have done to Your other children and help us forgive those who have done evil to us.



The real genius of the book is the way Hendra captures the “otherness of Jesus.” Think about Jesus for a moment. Here are some generally accepted facts about this carpenter Messiah as understood from the Gospel accounts: Jesus is born in a barn. Jesus is Jewish, a minority in the Roman schema (I often remind my students that Jesus is not a Christian). Unlike Paul, Jesus isn’t even a citizen in his own nation. Some might say he is an alien. Jesus is from Nazareth, not exactly a cutting edge city producing great thinkers. Remember the infamous line from the Gospels, “What good can come from Nazareth?” Jesus and his father are carpenters, more migrant workers than middle class; he does not appear to hold any elite positions. He has no special education that the reader is made aware of as do some of his contemporaries; Paul and Josephus to name a few. Jesus depends on the generosity of others during his ministry. Jesus is voluntarily homeless. Jesus is crucified as a criminal; a political insurgent who threatens Rome’s power in the region and Judaism’s tests of orthodoxy. Churches would not hire this Jesus. Moms would think twice before letting their daughters date this Jesus (borrowed from a piece I wrote for Wineskins).

And to have your imagination captured by the Jesus of Scripture and the Jesus of Morris Avenue, you’ll have to dive into the world of this book for yourself.

20 comments:

Pate The Great's Papa said...

I don't mean for this to be read as malice - I am sincere in my line of questioning.

Do you really believe this is an accurate depiction of God, when Jay (supposedly Jesus) says, "... I did not guide the hand of David or Solomon..."?

It is very difficult for me to believe that.

What authority/support do you, or does the author, have for this assertion?

I believe it is dangerous (however tempting) to speak or write a gospel other than what we have in the New Testament of the Bible. Why do some of us (myself included at times) feel the urge to contemporize (don't know if that's even a word) the gospel story. Do we not diminish its integrity when we do this?

God's word began a transformation in me. Is it not powerful enough to do the same in others? It is sharper than a double edged sword... it is penetrating... and it is these things without me.

Maybe we can dismiss this work as merely a novel, but I fear the author and some fans intend for it to be more than that.

I want you to know that I have been visiting your blog for over a year now, and I have appreciated much of what you throw out as "food for thought". On many occations your words have focused my attention on Christ and His Kingdom work... What I'm saying is God has blessed me through this blog.

Random - I'm not sure, but I think I may have gone to Oklahoma Christian with your brother? Is his name Jason? Played Tennis? Just curious...

Anonymous said...

Pate,

Jason is my twin brother...and my best friend. I'll tell him we met via blogging:)

I should've noted that you must read the whole novel to understand the quote...ie, reading a portion of Psalms in which "babies heads are smashed against the rocks" without reading the Psalms as a whole is not wise.

So...I should've noted that. Also, "the word of God" in scripture does refer to scripture (the OT not the NT) but also refers to a) the words of God b) the preaching of the story of God and...most importantly...c) Jesus.

Just a bit of information to chew on. "Word of God" is much more robust and deep than we allow it to be.

Pate The Great's Papa said...

My name is Jason Anderson, Patriot (aka - pate the great)is my son. Didn't think your brother would likely remember me by my son's name...

As far as your reply... I don't follow it. It doesn't answer my question. I willing for that to be about me...

Maybe I need to think things through and take another stab at communicating my orignal thread with more clarity.

Thanks,
J

Pate The Great's Papa said...

Should read "I'm willing..."

J

Anonymous said...

Jason,

I apologize if I did not answer your question. Let me say it succinctly. I think, trying to remember back to this book now..., the author was trying to say that God does not sanction every act in Scriptures in which women and men claim to be representing the will of God.

The writer, in this portion of the novel, is highlighting the same point Abraham Lincoln made following the end of the Civil War..."both sides (North and South) prayed to the same God...both sides read from the same bible." The point...most people believe that God sanctions or sides with their viewpoints, decisions, etc.

Authentic faith leaves room that "I might not have all the answers. I might mess up from time to time." or..."A govt. might make a wrong decision."

A great movie on this subject, one that my father-in-law (www.patrickmead.net) and I discuss all the time is "The Kingdom of Heaven". Just an fyi.

Anonymous said...

Chloe,

I got the book...loaned it to a student who's reading it as we speak (or write whatever the case may be).

Glad you liked it...you should consider joining the youth in RIO this summer: Jason Steckel (our youth minister extraordinare) is beginning to really get into this stuff as well.

I look forward to talking about this some more with you all.

I don't have AIM...I'm not that sophisticated.

Peace.

JG

Anonymous said...

Jason

I should note as well, the book really does capture the essence of the Gospel. As one who spent 90 hours of graduate work investigating Christianity (I was not there to become an expert...I was in grad school as a seeker really) and one who's taught NT at the college level--this novel captures the scandal of Jesus (his call to discipleship, faith, grace) better than almost any book I've read.

Don't let this small detail deter you from reading the book?

Lindy said...

most impactful for me thus far in the messiah of morris ave. would be the realization of the negative affects of legisting morality/spirituality. i know many are divided on this issue, but to see what happens when politics and religion mixes in current times via this novel, i realized the danger now, and better understood the political situation that Jesus entered into with the Pharisee's and Sadducee's.
not to mention i love this book because it's set just a few streets away from me in the Bronx. :)

Anonymous said...

Lindy--

You are right: legislating morality is a dangerous, dangerous game; it cuts many different ways people fail to realize. I'm having the students coming to the Bronx read Messiah of Morris Ave--I hope we can have a few good discussions with them while we're actually in the Bronx. It's dislocated bible study (ala Charles Campbell) with a twist...dislcoated novel reading.


Cal...aka Chloe-- You can raise the money..I've done it several times! I (or Jason Steckel)can give you some pointers and help get you started with letter writing. That's for the word about the teaching time...I wasn't sure how that would go over :)

Emily said...

Josh,
I devoured The Irresistable Revolution in about a day and a half while on the tour bus, and I have to say that it is exactly what I've been needing to hear.
I am so upset that I couldn't have been there this morning (we won't return from tour until tomorrow), but I want to know everything that you can tell me about mission work.
I'm so thirsty for this stuff! And as amazing as it is to see how much God is changing the way that I look at things, it's scary, too. It's making me re-think a lot of important decisions; should I carry out this degree, or drop out and do what I can to help my brothers and sisters now? It's hard when I know that if I'm stable financially, I can help more people later, but I feel like that's wasting the time and resources and hunger that I feel now.
I am going to return the book to you as soon as I get back, so I'll get in touch with you soon to talk about all of the questions that it's raised. :)

Anonymous said...

Emily,

I'm glad you were challenged by Claiborne's book. He's coming to RC in March to do an assembly. I look foward to talking with you soon about all of this.

JG

Anonymous said...

Chloe,

Raising funds for a mission trip is easier than you might think. Jason Steckel's email is jsteckel@rochester coc.org--he can get you started. Either way, I'll help along with the rest of the office staff.

Hope mid terms go well.

JG

Pate The Great's Papa said...

Josh,

I appreciate your follow-through on my questions...

I'm still chewing...

Thanks,
J

Anonymous said...

J,

I think if you go online...you can read the first chapter for yourself from Messiah of Morris Avenue.

Ok...I'm done promoting the book...until they start paying me.

Anonymous said...

hey josh,

thanks for Steckle's email..i plan on talking to him about it as well.
Thank you for the support and everything, I really appreciate it.

See you tomorrow or sometime later
-Chloe

Anonymous said...

p.s- there is a link in my blog to my mothers..
she just reminded me to ask you to check it out. (shrug)

hah bye Josh

Anonymous said...

Because of a crazy week, I've gotten behind. I'd hoped to have a post already about Dr. King--that's coming today or tomorrow.

Have a great day today.

Anonymous said...

Interesting topic, I will try to apply this to my daily life.

Josh Graves said...

Thanks Jamal. I'm trying to do the same.

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh,
I haven't been online in a while thought i'd stop by. The pictures i took of Kara and the rest of the gang at church on wednesday, I should have developed by..tomorrow-ish. If all turns out well perhaps i'll be able to bring them next time we see each other. Hope everything is going well,
Chloe