07 July 2006

Dumb Churches

I know I should be a bit more polite in my language, but I simply cannot resist. There are some dumb churches out there. My greatest evidence, your honor, are the messages that churches actually put on the signs outside their building.

On this issue, I think Protestants could learn a great deal from Catholics and forfeit the "sign strategy" all together.

Here are some of the worst church signs I've seen over the years.

* "Stop, drop and roll won't work in Hell." Now there's a thougtfully constructed view of the point to God's working in the world.

* "Eternity--smoking or non-smoking?" Another articulate way of describing God's redemptive plan for creation and humaniy. So thoughtful and endearing.

* "This church is prayer-conditioned" C'mon...someone needs to fire the committee making these decisions.

* "God Answers Knee-Mail" Yes, God is in the business of anwswering our Christmas shopping lists. Prayer is reduced to "what I need and want."

* "Ch__ch: What's missing? U R" Though the least repulsive on this list, a week ploy for evangelism. Makes a statement someone recently made all the more truer, "So much of evangelism is manipulation."

8 comments:

Sean Stockman said...

I saw a sign that said "get in here, or your going down there" I agree, very dumb.

Josh Graves said...

I need to add that one Sean.

Bradford L. Stevens said...

Some of my favorites:[These are for real]

"Staying in bed and shouting "Oh God!" does not constitute going to church."

"Eternity is a long time to be wrong!"

"Palm Sunday: Free Pony Rides for Children"

Josh Graves said...

"Eternity is a long time to be wrong!"

Brad--in many ways, that sums up the Fundamentalist perspective. Christianity is reduced down to "who's right" and "who's wrong"--it is always nice when one is on the side of the argument that leads to eternal bliss.

These are good.

Naomi said...

And for a minute there, I thought that "Countdown" a few Sundays ago was serious. I was worried.

Eric said...

I agree with most of this, Josh, but have you seen the pics I posted on my blog from a Catholic church in our area?

http://ermagnusson.blogspot.com/2006/06/consumer-or-missional-model.html

Eric said...

By the way, I often drive up to our building fearfully wondering what awaits me on the marque out front.

I wish I had a list of the ones that have been on OUR building since I came here.

Right now, "Think before you react." Of course, it was put there by the guy in our congregation who has never thought before reacting! (Famous for asking someone to step outside at an old church "men's business meeting" at another congregation. And yes, I'm serious.)

salguod said...

Saw this one in Cinci a few week ends ago:

"All the world's a camera, look pleasant please."

Huh? Check your troubles at the door and put on a happy face 'cause we don't care.

Down the street was this one that I actually liked:

"Sign broken. Come inside for message."