18 August 2005

The students at Rochester College are now starting to fill up the campus. Some of the athletes are back for conditioning and training. The R.A.'s and their assistants are getting ready for the ever crazy job.

This week I was a part of a worship conference with Michael Card and a leadership conference with Randy Harris (Teaches theology at ACU). The students, however, stole the show. Many in our churches lament at the prospect of the future of our churches.

I can tell you that after 48 hours with some of these college students, the future (as well as the present) is in good hands. We had students from High Church experiences who are mature enough to appreciate the simplicity of a capella music. We had a handful of legit charismatics who, though often frustrated, are willing to share their experiences with those of us who've never heard the audible voice of God. I try to tell them that "hearing God's voice" or "seeing God's face" is not something I am consistently praying for in my life. Have we read our Bibles?

We have students with little to no religious background. Ultimately, these are the students I want to gravitate to. Not primarily because I want to seem the move from lost to saved, though I do. But because I believe many people who are indifferent to the Christian faith, or those who've outright rejected it have done so because they've been presented an counterfeit gospel.

---

When I was an undergrad student I rarely sought out the student who was "the other" or "invisible"--as a minister and teacher I hope I can embody what I see in the Gospels--Jesus "eating his way through his ministry" with the least; the ones on the fringe (thanks to my friend Eric for that quote).

Who are we inviting to sit at our tables?

3 comments:

PatrickMead said...

Absolutely dead on! When I do youth rallies I get excited about the future of our faith. Our children will rise up and teach us, if we are wise enough to listen.

JD said...

It's like Elijah wringing his hands ... it's what he doesn't know that causes his crisis. The church of tomorrow may be invisible to us for the moment, but God knows where His people are, and what it's all going to be.

Anonymous said...

I always look at life this way, you should never regret a single thing you do, always learn from experiences, you need to leave the world a better place than you came into it, so, if you go a day without talking to someone you don't know, going out of your way for someone...stepping outside your comfort zone persay....you've failed...I refuse to fail at life